Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Do you believe in miracles?

So its about 4am and I cant sleep so i decided to watch the movie Miracle. For those of you who have not seen it, it is a true story about the 1980 USA olympic hockey team and their incredible victory over the soviet Union at the games held in Lake Placid, NY. After watching it, i decided to pop in the video my dad taped of the actual game from 1980. I would have to say that the movie was more realistic than I ever thought. Everything down to the equipment was right on key. In the movie they used wood sticks, not composite, and all the padding was old fashion hockey padding. Because I am a major dork, I cried when the beat the soviets...by the way...this could easily be my hundredth time watching this movie and I still cried. Yes I know...I could very well be the only girl in the world who has not seen 'The Notebook", yet cried during sports movies. The coolest thing I found in the movie is that Buzz Schneider, a member of the 1980 USA team, was played by his son, Billy Schneider. This movie, proves that once again, hockey is the best sport out there. It can evoke emotion and in a time of need gave people not only a chance to dream, but a night to believe!

Below is a clip taken from youtube thanks to Murphystar1. This could easily be the best speech in all sport movie history!




1 comment:

Rich said...

I was 18 years old when the US beat the Soviets and it was undescribable, no one not alive during the cold war can completely understand the depth of emotion that evoked, I'm crying now, just after wathcing the speach and remembering the game. Also remembering seeing Miracle for the first time with my four kids.

I now have three girls playing hockey and one of them has seen Miracle between 20 - 50 times. She has it on her iPod.

I believe on miracles.