Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Hockey players are the best comedians

Tonight I was watching a hockey game at the rink I coach at, and I was sitting in the time box, and for the first time ever I payed attention to what was being said by the players. After laughing harder than I have in a very long time, I decided that hockey players need their own comedy spot on Comedy Central, but that will never happen so they get a spot on my blog. Let me start by saying this was a mens league and there is no checking. The first guy gets put in the box because he laid a sweet hit on a guy who was mouthing off. So when he gets in the box he looks at the ref, and says, "that wasnt a hit, I just stopped....a little to close to the boards, and he just so happened to be there." The he that the player was referring to was the other player. I looked at him and said "I am guessing you just so happened to lower your shoulder too?" Of course he just got a grin on his face. Later on the period, I noticed the guy who got stitches in his face two weeks ago finally had a visor on his helmet. It was about time. Two weeks in a row he had to get stitches. Of course he was mouthing off the whole time, but when you listen to names they come up with to call each other....you have to laugh. Then I started thinking....hockey players are big guys...and the levels of ice hockey when you play in a youth league are mites, squirts, peewees, bantams, midgets and Jrs. Now why on earth would you name levels after tiny things when the people playing are big?? I never understood that. Back to funny hockey players...you have to love the refs. They get criticized from every which way, the best part is they control the game. So for you hockey players and coaches reading this...unless you want an unsportsman like conduct penalty...shut up when they put you in the box. You know you deserved the penalty. When you slash the guy in the face, don't try and use the excuse that he ran into your stick. When you trip him, you can't claim you were going for the puck if its half way down the ice. Just take the penalty like a man and get even on the score board. I mean feel free to throw the gloves and stick and fight every now and then. Ballet gone bad is always fun to watch :-)

1 comment:

Walking with Wood said...

Hey, I saw you on myspace in one of my hockey groups but I couldn't email or add you as a friend. But I'd like to be your friend. :) I'm Hockey Bob on myspace and write a hockey humor blog like you at www.jasperwheats.blogspot.com.